This institute is designed to equip elementary classroom teachers (administrators and arts specialists are welcome to attend) with the skills and knowledge needed to effectively integrate the arts into the core curriculum.
- Explore the stages of the creative thinking process and identify methods to engage students in creative thinking,
- Build knowledge of the basic elements of each major art form (Music, Drama, Visual Art, Dance),
- Refine lesson planning skills to embed opportunities for creative thinking and self-expression through the arts, and
- Identify “natural fit” connections between South Carolina content area standards and the arts.
The institute includes:
- All materials, including books, and CDs,
- Three and one-half days in Charleston during the Spoleto Festival USA including hotel accommodations, workshops, and three evening performances
- Meals and travel expenses are NOT included in this
Two Required Pre-Creative Teaching Institutes:
- Session One: April 1 – Charleston (Ashley River Creative Arts Elementary) & April 8 – Columbia (Logan Elementary)
- Session Two: April 29 – Charleston (Ashley River Creative Arts Elementary) & May 20 – Columbia (Logan Elementary)