Creative Teaching in the Classroom Institute (during Spoleto Festival USA)
This institute is designed to equip elementary classroom teachers (administrators and arts specialists are welcome to attend) with the skills and knowledge needed to effectively integrate the arts into the core curriculum.
- Explore the stages of the creative thinking process and identify methods to engage students in creative thinking,
- Build knowledge of the basic elements of each major art form (Music, Drama, Visual Art, Dance),
- Refine lesson planning skills to embed opportunities for creative thinking and self-expression through the arts, and
- Identify “natural fit” connections between South Carolina content area standards and the arts.
The institute includes:
- All materials, including books, and CDs,
- Three and one-half days in Charleston during the Spoleto Festival USA including hotel accommodations, workshops, and three evening performances
- Meals and travel expenses are NOT included in this
Two Required Pre-Creative Teaching Institutes: Session One & Session Two – TBA
Location: Charleston and Spoleto Festival USA
Pre-Creative Teachers Institutes: Participants must attend two Saturday pre-institute sessions (Session One and Session Two) April 18 and May 16 in Charleston or April 25 and May 30 in Columbia
Creative Teaching in the Classroom Institute: June 3-6, 2020 in Charleston